Hi, I'm Nicole, a second year Occupational Therapy (OT) student. This blog has been created as part of an assessment for the Participation in Occuaption 2 paper (PO2). We are to choose an occupation that we do as a hobby that can be engaged in for a minimum of 2 hours per week. My chosen occupation is Cross Stitching. This blog will also discuss what cross stitching means to me personally and my experiences. Links to OT will be made in reference to how it might be useful, as well as any important considerations such as ambience, affordance, ergonomics and practicality.

Thursday 8 September 2011

The Meaning of Cross Stitching to Me

My experiences of cross stitching goes back to when I was about 10 years old. My grandmother had made some basic Christmas cross stitches to which I was fascinated by. She then proceeded to teach me the craft. Since then I have completed several patterns that have either been for myself or have been made for special occasions in the family. Cross stitching to me means that I can bring out aspects of my personality in terms of the patterns I choose and what I do with the completed product, as well as the time and effort I put in to making sure each stitch is perfect. I do this craft as a way to relax, slow down but also to keep busy with out actually being busy. I love being able to sit down in front of the television and stitch away while still being able to watch a favorite program. Although this is quite a time consuming craft, to me, having a finished product that I am able to frame to hang up or to give to others is a reward in itself.

Some practical considerations of partaking in this craft includes having the time, resources required such as canvas, thread and needles, and the right environment i.e. adequate lighting and temperature. All of these will be explained in later postings.

As an OT, we are concerned with a clients well being and keeping them engaged in meaningful occupation.Cross stitching can be used in many ways by OTs. It could be useful in keeping a client actively engaged in a meaningful occupation which at the end produces a product viewed by the client as their work. Other ways include using the craft to assess fine motor skills, cognitive ability, memory and so forth.

The big question now is can I be actively engaged in this occupation for a minimum of 2 hours a week...quite easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment