Hi, I'm Nicole, a second year Occupational Therapy (OT) student. This blog has been created as part of an assessment for the Participation in Occuaption 2 paper (PO2). We are to choose an occupation that we do as a hobby that can be engaged in for a minimum of 2 hours per week. My chosen occupation is Cross Stitching. This blog will also discuss what cross stitching means to me personally and my experiences. Links to OT will be made in reference to how it might be useful, as well as any important considerations such as ambience, affordance, ergonomics and practicality.

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Ambience and defining craft

Ambience, in this case, is more or less the essence of the activity. Essence can be described as ‘The intrinsic or indispensable properties that serve to characterize or identify something” (Essence, 2011). The ambience of cross stitching is that I make them either with the intention of having them to decorate my room or to give them away as gifts that relate to a given situation. Having them placed around my room also implies that they are going to be viewed by other people that visit me.

Craft has been defined as “...the power to produce a preconceived result by means of consciously controlled and directed action" (Collingwood, 1958, p. 15). Collingwood also went on to say that there are some important characteristics that are essential of a craft, one being that “craft always involves a distinction between means and end, each clearly conceived as something distinct from the other, but related to it (p.15). For cross stitching you start out with different resources such as material and thread but once combined in a certain way in a form of a particular pattern it becomes something different, however we are still able to see the original resources used and the relationship between them. Before selecting the pattern and other resources one must have some idea as to what they are wanting the end product to be or turn out like. When I’m doing a cross stitching for decoration it is of something that I like or am passionate about. I have a couple cross stitchings of dolphins and other animals that I am passionate about. This is my way of being able to express who I am and what I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment